Eon: A Clojure Basics Quiz

As part of an effort to avoid creating yet another blog engine, I started working on something completely different:  a quiz/game called Eon.


Eon is a simple quiz designed to test basic Clojure evaluation comprehension.  At the moment, it consists of 7 levels of 10 questions.  Each question presents you with a Clojure form.  You are given an answer box to submit your answer.  An answer is initially worth 100 points.  Entering an incorrect answer drops the possible point value by 10, so a perfect score at this point is 7000 (7 levels x 10 questions per level x 100 points).

I started writing Eon for a few reasons:

  • I wanted to get out of a rut where every personal project started to look like a blog engine.
  • I wanted to learn ClojureScript.  There are lots of interesting things happening in ClojureScript lately, and I wanted to get my feet wet.  Eon is written in ClojureScript with Reagent handling the UI.
  • Working on this helped solidify my understanding of simple Clojure evaluation.
Eon is very basic, but I hope that other Clojure beginners out there find it useful.  There are levels/questions that I'd like to add, but due to some limitations in the way I'm handling answers, I'm not sure I'll get to them.  Plus, I'm already itching to create something more substantial using ClojureScript--it's a lot of fun to work with.

If you have questions, comments, or find bugs/see something wrong, please let me know via email or on Twitter.

No comments: